Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Toe Truth On MultiTasking

Study after study is telling us that multitasking actually does not save us any time. In fact, some studies have said multitasking may, in fact, make us less productive than if we just focused on one thing at a time in our lives/days/minutes/etc.
I suspect those studies were funded by the Couch Potato Institute or perhaps the Lazy Man's Society. Whatever, it didn't matter if I believed them or not. My life was dependent on multitasking and I wasn't going to give it up without a fight.

With my toe.

Anyway, I'll try to finish writing this before I pass out from the pain.

I was doing a little multitasking today.

1. Defrosting a freakishly frosty freezer (culprit finally found: a yogurt tube was smashed into the freezing unit, apparently causing the whole freezer to freak out ... it was not pretty, defrosting the freezer and freeing the yogurt tube, which of course, burst berry belicious food-like goop all over the freezer. Now I'm just waiting to see that the freezer is still freezing before I put our best pig and steer parts back in there.);

2. Caring for (feeding/cleaning/playing with/keeping safe, etc.) three boys, two of whom were in school when the, um, fight happened);

3. Various volunteer-related communications;

4. Various roof-replacement communications;

5. Writing a press release for a client;

6. Billing a client for work completed; and

7. Removing and destroying a broken-down dresser-type piece of closet furniture in an 'old' part of our house to replace with something of a little more, uhmmm, quality.

It's this last item that broke the camel's back, or at least, the idiot's toe (or maybe just toenail). I was having a grand old time swinging a hammer, breaking this bad boy apart. I'm thinking I need to get on this show that my oldest boy likes, something like "Build, Destroy, Build." Because I really surprised myself by how much I liked tearing apart this dresser with a hammer.

Andy, the baby, was safe in the playroom, a few feet from me, when I realized he'd created a bit of a diaper issue for me to deal with. I said, "Andy, be right back and I'll take care of that diaper ... I'm going to just carry this drawer down stairs."

The drawer didn't make it in one piece. It fell apart on the way down, and I painfully soon realized why construction workers do not wear pink flip flops to work.

The majority of the drawer fell on the big toe of my left foot, then broke apart in about eight pieces, falling the rest of the way down the staircase.

I felt pain, saw blood, eeewwwaaaa, didn't see a toe nail.

As a long-distance runner, I am fortunate to have kept my toes in tact all these years. Many friends have not been so lucky.

But I can no longer say that. My big toe's nail on my left foot is gone, baby, gone. So is a lot of skin and flesh, which I suppose accounts for the volume of blood.

Lesson learned. Focus. Don't multitask. At least not in flip flops.

*please note that today's picture does not remotely relate to the topic. I put in a cute pic of one of my guys when I don't have an appropriate picture. I did a random search of 'pictures of toes,' and, well, the result was not what I was looking for. Ever. In my life. It's a weird, weird, web out there ....

1 comment: