Friday, August 6, 2010

Save the Curls, Save the World!

It was going to have to happen someday. I wasn't going to go the route of Celine Dion and let my son's hair grow to Samson-like lengths.

I made it past the first birthday, which was longer than I thought I'd get away with. But as 13 months, 14 months, 15 months, 16 months passed, I thought I might make it to his second birthday.

I just didn't want Andy to lose those blond curls.

Sure, everyone thinks he's a girl, but he is pretty! I didn't care!

But Kevin did. A lot.

And the hair-in-the-face was clearly beginning to bug Andy. Or maybe it was the breakfast in the eyes (and nose, and hair, and...).(See photo, above!)

I don't know. I just knew a change was needed, and I wasn't going to be able to hold out until month 18.

So Andy took Toby's appointment today with Heidi at Salon Dolce, a sweet shop just two blocks away. She's been cutting TJ's curly locks for years now.

(I didn't trust his head to the neighborhood barber, no matter how much we like the guy. But a bald barber? You wouldn't go to a toothless dentist, admit it!)

Even Luke ditched the barber a few cuts ago, too, and is a Heidi fan now. I'm not sure if it's all about the haircut for him, or all about him being an 8-year-old boy and Heidi being, well, really very nice and much prettier than the bald barber. She also gives out pencils and lollipops.

Andy didn't care about pretty vs. bald, boy vs. girl, pencils vs. lollipops. He didn't want to sit, not even in my lap, for a single hair to be cut. (He's Momma's boy, that one!)

But Heidi is a skilled technician and wonderfully patient, and she got the job done.
Hair's no longer in Andy's eyes (as he likes to show in this picture), and the back and sides still sport cherubic curls. The cut might not be short enough, or manly enough, for Kevin, but Heidi saved the curls.

My world is safe, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment