Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Frozen Golf Balls and Superfeet

It started with a whisper a few months ago, my body telling me to back off on the running. I ignored the chatter.

I had just completed my running comeback, if you will. Having run multiple marathons, half marathons and shorter races in my 20s and 30s, I had backed off to recover from a spring 2008 surgery to remove some rogue milk ducts; soon after that, I learned I was 40 and pregnant with our bonus baby. The running slowed to a jog.

So I was thrilled to successfully train for and run the Palos Bank Southwest Half Marathon down in Palos Heights, Ill., in May. I followed that up a few weeks later with another half marathon up in Wisconsin, which I ran just because it was there.

But then what had been a whisper turned into a "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?" call being played every day, from the moment I took my first step in the morning until I fell into my bed at night, tucked in by my new best friend, ibuprofen.

Yep, my ol' nemesis plantar fasciitis had returned, and now my body was forcing me to listen to it. Rest would be the foundation of an ideal treatment plan, but given that I'm signed up to run the Rock-n-Roll Half Marathon in Chicago on August 1st with my sister-in-law, Jen, I was going to have to get creative.

The crazy $50 contraption I put on my leg every night to stretch out my foot while I sleep isn't much help, but the golf balls I now keep in my freezer are amazing! The massage therapist at my gym recommended it, and I love her for it! If you've got tired feet at the end of a long day, I recommend the frozen golf ball massage.

Even better is that I found my old Supefeet. If you're not wearing these insoles in your shoes, you are not walking on sunshine; you are not gellin'. http://www.superfeet.com/

I used to wear them in my running shoes, but I misplaced them about six months ago and was frankly too cheap to go out an buy another pair right away. I'm certain months of running with cheap insoles was like a big invite to PF to return.

But some basement cleaning yesterday yielded an unexpected treat: an old pair of running shoes with the Superfeet inside. This morning's run was tolerable and convinced me I will get through the 13.1 miles next month. It won't be pretty, but I'll finish.

Come August 2nd, my running will take a rest until my foot has healed completely. I'm putting this in writing, because I'm a bit of an addict when it comes to pounding the pavement, and I will need some *brave* family and friends to keep me on the wagon and off the running path.


The picture is of Kevin, Luke & me from the 2007 Gays Mills Apple Fest Race ... running is a family affair!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you found the Superfeet. What type/color are you using? If we can be of any help, let us know at www.theinsolestore.com

    ReplyDelete