Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hope It Gives You Hell!

This could have been titled "I Heart TV."

I'm just giggling over a strange technical glitch I experienced today. In the process of burning a couple dozen CDs for our Sunday School families, I found that on the first five I made, instead of starting with "Let Their Be Light," a little ditty about that first chapter in Genesis, the CD's prelude was "Hope It Gives You Hell," from last season's Glee soundtrack.

It was followed by a few other songs sent to me by my SIL Jen to resuscitate my DNR running playlist. That's the one I haven't gotten around to changing since it was my 'labor and birthing' playlist 18 months ago ... yep, a pretty sad compilation ranging from Enya to Barry Manilow to some Kid Rock (clearly to help in the final stages).

So, while I found it hilarious that what's supposed to rock out The Books of Moses to our sweet kids in Sunday School would have instead, rocked their parents in the wrong way, I am sure glad I decided to check the CDs before labeling and distributing.

Back to "I Heart TV."

I am not a big TV watcher. I have a few time limitations given my lifestage, but I've come a long way the past few years from trying to be all elitist and pretending I don't watch it at all, or boasting at a playdate "I don't let my kids watch SpongeBob."

Please, if it were not for SpongeBob, my kitchen would never get cleaned up after a meal (and with three young, growing boys, there are no fewer than eight meals a day served here) or, as was the case tonight, the lawn would have gone a second week without a mowing. C'mon, it's not like those boys don't get appropriate sensory stimulation and music, literature, athletic, etc., exposure during the other parts of their days. I'm just saying, for a half hour here or a half hour there, I heart SpongeBob, Scooby Doo, Johnny Test and anything on PBS. Love my Window To The World.

Then there are MY shows I've come to look forward to this TV season.

I really liked summer when TV was bad (or just repeats) and I would curl up with a book, instead of in front of the TV, before passing out from exhaustion at 8 p.m., but I really enjoyed those Emmy Awards a few weeks ago (Jimmy Fallon ... heart, heart, heart him and his team of writers ... and, please, do not forget the writers). And I'm really hopeful for this season.

Mad Men has not disappointed, especially with the focus on Don's desire to change the trajectory of his life and on the show's female characters, the few whose sole purpose is not about mattress testing. Glee, well, yummy! And THANK goodness I'm neither back in high school nor remember my own high school experience to be so, well, cruel.

I'd started watching DWTS last year for RESEARCH for a writing project I had, but I got hooked. I'm not so sure I'll be hooked this season, but, like a train wreck, I have a feeling I won't be able to help myself.

I like my brands: CSI, Law & Order. Mad Men and Friday Night Lights I love partly because Kevin & I like to watch them together. The Office and 30 Rock is our Thursday night date night. Sad, but realistic, again, given our lifestage, or really, the age of our children.

While I'm sure I'd be better served reading up on the latest developments in foreign policy, tonight I'm going to go see what's new on TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment